The L2A2 Hand Grenade is a portable explosive that is commonly found in missions and during gameplay. Grenades have taken on many forms throughout history. Generally, a grenade is propelled by either being thrown or launched from a device. Those that are thrown use a chemical time delay fuse. Launched grenades use centrifugal force to release retention springs away from the firing pin, which is then released just below the head of the grenade. Upon impact, the head is depressed onto the exposed firing pin which detonates the explosive.
Also used by militaries all over the world, mostly to flush out entrenched enemies. When the pin is pulled, the spoon is released which allows the striker pin to be forced downward by a spring. Upon impact, this creates a small spark which then burns through the chemical fuse in approximately four seconds. At the end of the fuse is a detonator which when ignited, sets off the bulk of the explosive material inside the grenade. This causes enough pressure to blow the grenade apart. The shell of the grenade splinters and is projected in all directions. Both the concussion wave and the shrapnel cause damage to nearby persons.
- Rate of fire: 30 RPM
- Throwing distance depends on how long the grenade is primed, but it explodes on a fixed timer upon tossing.
- You'll usually kill most enemies before you approach them, which makes it of little use for killing entrenched enemies.
- However, it becomes very useful when you've memorized enemy's positions and movements. Toss a grenade at an enemy at a location you know an enemy is at or is going to, and it'll usually kill him without exposing you to any potential threats.
- Remember to run away as soon as you throw a grenade; it has a large radius of damage.
- The in-game grenade model has a blue lever. The colour blue is used to mark a training weapon in American and European militaries.
- Rate of fire: 30 RPM
- Employment range of hand grenade is short.
- Effective casualty radius of hand grenade is small.
- Can now be primed to shorten time taken to explode, giving enemies less time to run away.
- Maximum capacity is 3 grenades. Can be dropped like a normal item for picking up later.
- These ancient grenades were often made of glass or ceramics and were often used to set fire to enemy ships or buildings.
- This design would later be adopted by both Muslim and Chinese Armies who used them to great affect in their various wars.
- The Chinese adopted them to such an extent that they created a dedicated manual on the types of recipes that a soldier could use to make grenades in the field.
- In the gameplay HUD of IGI 2, it is simply referred to as "Grenade". However, when picking it up, the message that appears labels it as "Hand Grenade" like the IGI 1 version.