The M16A2 is an automatic assault rifle, that is useful in close-quarter battles and for basic sniping, being more accurate than the AK-47. It is never carried by any enemies, so its ammo must be conserved unlike weapons that groups of enemies wield. It also has a M203 grenade launcher which is effective against small groups of enemies. It is a noisy weapon and typically gives away the player's location, though it is suitable for sniping being moderately accurate even at ranges greater than 250m. Though the M16A2 is depicted of being capable of automatic fire, in real life it only fires three round bursts.
- Starting weapon in certain missions. Wielded by friendlies but not by any enemies.
- M16A2's rate of fire: 600 RPM
- M203 Grenade Launcher's rate of fire: 40 RPM
- Starting weapon in missions Bridge Across the Dnestr, Ambush and Production Facility. Wielded by friendlies in cutscenes but not by any enemies.
- M16A2's rate of fire: 900 RPM
- M203 Grenade Launcher's rate of fire: 20 RPM
- Long distances: Inaccurate and wastes valuable ammo. Also alerts the enemy, when quieter weapons such as the G-17SD can be used to maintain stealth.
- Short distances: Very effective even against large groups of enemies, being a type of submachine rifle. Best suited to close-quarter battles. Its grenade launcher can be used in desperate situations though more ammo is never available.